Pursuant to the amendments of Act I of 2012 on the Labour Code (“Labour Code”) effective as of 1st September 2020, the employee shall be exempted from the requirement of availability and from work for a maximum of 10 working days per year during the period of preparation for adoption.
The pre-adoption phase provides an opportunity for parents intending to adopt and the child to be adopted to meet, introduce themselves and start to get to know each other before the adoption. Also during this period, the living conditions of the parents wishing to adopt will be assessed, counseling will be provided by the child protection service and, if required, a free adoption course will be conducted.
As the procedure involves a number of tasks for the employee, the legislator considered it necessary to exempt the employee from his/her requirement of availability and work during this period.
The exemption is available to both prospective parents, who are entitled to an absence fee for this period. The exemption shall also apply in the case of an executive employee, from which the employment agreement of the executive employee may not deviate.
The conditions for claiming the exemption are defined by the Labour Code as follows:
– exemption from availability and work is possible on the basis of a certificate issued by the adoption organization;
– the employee may claim the exemption within 90 days following the issuance of the certificate;
– the employee shall inform his/her employer at least 5 working days in advance of his/her intention to claim the exemption;
– the employee must be exempted on the dates specified in his/her request, therefore it is up to the employee to determine the dates;
– the Labour Code does not stipulate that the exemption of 10 working days should be granted to the employee only continuously, therefore the employee may request that the exemption be granted in several installments within 90 days from the issuance of the above-mentioned certificate.
If you have any questions regarding the above, please feel free to contact us.